Maurice Levin -- Finance, Operations, e-Commerce Professional and Rare Plant Grower. Here is a brief summary of that experience, and please see my Resume/CV below:
My most recent experience is building and running the Jurassic Garden, whose operation I have now turned over to my employees, so I am eager to work in a new and challenging environment.
In 1998, Maurice Levin founded Jurassic Garden--A&A Cycads, a family-owned rare plant nursery in Los Angeles, California. He has been growing cycads and other rare plants for nearly 25 years. Maurice Levin has served on the Board of Directors of The Cycad Society, the Board of Directors of the Harvard Club of Southern California, and is past Chairman of the Board of the Oddyssey Theatre Ensemble.
Prior to Jurassic Garden, Maurice Levin worked in real estate, investment banking, and retained executive search. Maurice grew up in Los Angeles, graduated from Palisades High School, received his AB in History from Harvard University in 1979 (magna cum laude thesis), and his MBA from Harvard Business School in 1984 2nd Year Honors. He has completed coursework in the Horticulture and Gardening Program at UCLA. Maurice Levin is an Eagle Scout.
MAURICE CHARLES LEVIN
Dedicated, hardworking professional with 20+ years' experience in demanding environments: Finance, Operations, Marketing, Emerging Business Management, Horticulture/Agribusiness, E-Commerce, Valuation/Transactions
General Manager: Operations, Finance, Sales | Jurassic Garden | Los Angeles, CA | 2001-Present
Commercial Grower, Wholesale/Retail Nursery: Grow, preserve and sell rare endangered species and drought-resistant plants. Created business, developed and operated a 1.5 acre nursery and growing facility. Built an extensive e-commerce marketing website http://www.cycads.com, to sell to and educate customers. Generated over $6.5 million in sales. Business now operated by employees.
• Conceived and executed entry strategy to new market channels
• Managed operations effectively and efficiently
• Prepared financial reports and analysis; made and implemented change recommendations
• Developed knowledge to become a premier grower of drought-resistant endangered species plants
• Developed e-commerce strategy, built web store
• Undertook and completed search engine optimization via website and blog
• Managed, optimized and accounted for inventory
• Directed planting on small to large-scale landscape projects
• Supervised clerical, managerial, operating staff
Executive Search Consultant | McCray, Hewett & Assoc. | Los Angeles, CA | 2000 - 2001
Conducted retained search assignments for CEOs, Presidents, COOs and other senior positions.
• Created and executed strategy with senior management
• Assessed client needs, developed candidate profiles
• Researched and set up candidate databases
• Interviewed and screened search candidates
• Completed searches generating over $500,000 in fees
Director, Sales, Marketing & Operations | Optimal Health, Inc. | Los Angeles, CA | 1996 - 2000
Built and led international healthcare distribution business.
• Recruited and trained distributors
• Developed marketing plans and sold products
• Grew business to $3.6 million in annual sales
• Negotiated price and sold business
Commercial Real Estate Broker | The Goodglick Company | Los Angeles, CA | 1988 - 1999
Represented commercial and industrial real estate tenants and owners. Obtained and wrote offers, and closed lease, sale and investment transactions totaling over $40 million
• Analyzed and researched market opportunities and assessed prospective client needs
• Then, developed marketing plans to acquire these clients, corporate occupants and property owners
• Subsequently, via cold calling and referrals, secured listings and client real estate assignments
• Acquired complete real estate skill set to advise buyers, sellers, owners and tenants
• Assisted in-house efforts to computerize and automate real estate transactions
Securities Analyst | Paine Webber | New York, NY | 1987-1988
Special Situations (Sell Side) Analyst. Evaluated companies, management and stock values. Made investment recommendations to create sale transactions with institutional investors, investment bankers brokers. Generated over $20 million in trading transactions.
Investment Analyst | Rudman Associates| New York, NY | 1986-1987
Investment Analyst at this hedge fund. Analyzed companies, management and stock values. Made investment recommendations. Developed marketing plan and secured investors for $15 million in new company managed funds.
Corporate Finance Associate | Lehman Brothers| New York, NY | 1983 - 1986
Participated in all facets of sale, merger/acquisition and equity/debt transactions totaling over $600 million, undertaking business valuation, complete deal materials, assisted closings. Developed 2 merger/acquisition clients for the firm as a new associate.
Commercial Banker | Bank of America | New York, NY & Toronto, ON | 1979 - 1982
Provided lending and other commercial banking services. Solicited and closed over $200 million in domestic financings and $75 million in international transactions. Undertook a special project to restructure a Bank-owned finance company in Canada.
Harvard Business School | 1982 – 1984
MBA, Focus on Finance and Marketing, 2nd Year Honors
Harvard University | 1974 – 1979
AB, cum laude, with magna cum laude thesis in History, U.S. & East Asian
Eagle Scout. Completed 1984 Boston Marathon and 1985 New York Marathon. Climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro (highest point on African continent) in 1984. Enjoy college sports and gardening. Born & grew up in Los Angeles. Past Board Member of the Cycad Society (Treasurer), Harvard Club of Southern California and Odyssey Theatre Ensemble (Chairman).
9560 Gloaming Drive, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Home Office: (310) 276-0137, Fax: (310) 859-0137, Mobile: (310) 293-6703